It's hard to believe another year is done. I read a lot more in 2014 than I had in 2013, so that was good to see. I started the year with four goals:
1. Read more children's books
2. Read more from authors I've enjoyed
3. Catch up on best sellers
4. Write reviews within a week of finishing each book
I did fairly well with all of these except number 4. I'm a bit behind in reviews at the moment since I didn't review much in December. But during 2014, I definitely wrote reviews sooner than usual, for the most part.
Before I get into my 2014 numbers, here's my December review.
BOOKS READ IN DECEMBER: 6
REVIEWS WRITTEN IN DECEMBER: 2
- Just in Time for Christmas by Kim Boykin - reviewed
- The Big Book of Parenting Tweets edited by Kate Hall and Science of Parenthood - read and reviewed
- The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto - read
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner - read
- Matchless by Gregory Maguire - read
- Fifty Mice by Daniel Pyne - read
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - read
2014 FINAL TOTALS:
Total Books Read: 62
Total Reviews: 54
Historical Fiction: 8 (13%)
Middle-Grade Fiction: 14 (23%)
Picture Books: 3 (5%)
Young Adult: 5 (8%)
Contemporary Fiction: 12 (19%)
Mystery/Thriller: 14 (23%)
Nonfiction: 4 (6%)
Memoir: 2 (3%)
For review: 35 (56%)
For book club: 9 (15%)
For me: 18 (29%)
It looks like I was focused on middle-grade fiction, thanks to my son's participation in Battle of the Books last spring, and mystery/thriller novels, with contemporary fiction coming in a close third.
I'm not crazy about the fact that 56% of the books I read were for review; however, I did form some new relationships with publishers that have led to me getting some amazing books for review. I'm very happy to see the books "for me" at almost 30%. I'd like to keep it that way in the coming year.