Here's a breakdown of the types of books I read last year:
Non-Fiction, Non-Memoir Reading Challenge. The other genres were fairly close to the prior year in terms of percentages.
I will say that I got a little tired of nonfiction by the end of the year. I had planned on reading 15 nonfiction books for the challenge, and I read 13, so I was pretty close! I read 6 memoirs as well, but those didn't count toward the challenge.
Overall, it was a good year of reading, although I read fewer books than the year before (only 59 in 2012).
I plan for 2013 to be very different here at My Book Retreat. I'm taking a break from accepting books for review. I still plan to read books and review them, but once I get through my backlog of review books, I'll be focusing on books I buy or get from the library. I need a break from the obligation of book tours and author requests.
Speaking of my backlog of review books, I have the following books to review (already read):
- Clout by Colleen Jones
- Tastes Like Human by Noel Boivin and Chris Lombardo
- These Ties by William Bortz
- The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes
- Santa's Sugar by Jane Gerencher
- Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Content Strategy for the Web by Kristen Halvorson
- Watering Heaven by Peter Tieryas Liu
- Crossing the Rubicon by R.C. Richter
- The Prophet by Ethan Cross
- The Cydonia Objective by David Sakmyster
- The Color of Greed by Jack Thompson
- The Forever Year by Lou Aronica
- The Spanish Agenda by James Houston Turner
I also plan to feature more author interviews in 2013. I started doing so toward the end of the year, and I really enjoy learning more about authors. If you're an author who would like to participate in an interview, let me know!
Finally, I have decided not to participate in any challenges this year. There are some that would be fun, but I don't want to have any specific obligations as to what books I read this year. I want to be able to read whatever I feel like reading at any given time.
What are your plans for 2013? Are you making any changes too?